Sunday, June 23, 2013

Instagram her life.

My teenage daughter is introducing me into the whole new budding culture of "self-ees"(pictures taken of yourself) and "likes" on Instagram.  She has lessoned me on when you post, how many in a day and how to tell if a picture is "likable" or not.  What are the most popular pictures?  Not artistic shots or landscaping like her ol' mom posts, but pictures of yourself.

Yesterday I took this picture after hanging out at Meeker Days, in a little park on our way to the car.  My beautiful little girl all grown up.  I didn't know how I felt about her putting her picture onto the web to be liked or not.  However, after seeing some of the completely inappropriate pictures that her fellow classmates were posting, I was grateful for what she chose to share. 


Last night she asked me if I would take some pictures of her all dressed up and I was more than happy to. After all, it's not often that your child willingly lets you photograph them.  I'm used to trying to wrangle Max for a picture, which is like trying to keep a wave upon the sand.  However I am still a little unsure about the fact that people are basically voting on how pretty my daughter is.  To me she is this beaming sunshine who is truly one of a kind, she's my love, my life and perfect in every way.  She deserves a million likes as far as I'm concerned.  I don't want her to ever view herself one way or another based on peer "likes."  None the less, while I have to accept this is the culture she is growing up in, I do find some comfort that she is choosing photos her mom not only approves of, but actually took.   

  
 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment