Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sisters


God made us Sisters
Life has made us Best Friends

One of my first memories of being a big sister, is when my mom let me hold my baby sister Kathleen for the first time on her bed.  I was only four and she was so tiny, but I was in love.  That love hasn't changed in 32 years and expanded when Elizabeth and Colleen were born.  

Having a sister when you are growing up isn't always easy, especially in our dysfunctional household.  Ask my sister Kathleen and Elizabeth, who were two years apart about their battles.  However, Colleen and I just talked today about the simple fact that we might disagree and argue at times, but we don't hold grudges for long and in no time all is well in the world again.  I believe it's because we can't afford, nor want to trudge this life without each other. 

My relationship with my sisters varies greatly and has taken on many different guises over the years.  I think though, the best friendship really grew strong after we were grown and becoming adults.  When I became a mother, my sisters became Aunts and they have all three really rocked that role over the years.  On dozens of occasions when all else failed, they were there, to scrub floors, sit with me, help with my older children, do whatever I needed.  I will be forever thankful for that. 
They have helped me through family issues, encouraged me as a mom, cheered me on in school, got me through a divorce and supported me when I married the love of my life.  

I love my sisters with all my heart.  I know them well and sometimes I feel like there is an invisible line between our hearts that communicates what is going on in our lives.  Miles definitely can not keep us apart.   Thank goodness for Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram!  

Tonight when I tucked in Sage and Saxton, I thought about the fact that in just two days Savannah will be here and it melted my heart.  I know what it is to love a sister and miss her like crazy.  I am blessed to have three of the best in the world and grateful that my girls have something similar.  In a few days the house will be filled with three giggling girls, bringing a smile to my face and I'm sure in September, when my own sister visits, we won't be very different.

My dear Kathleen, Elizabeth and Colleen.  Please know that I take my role as the big sister seriously and would never do anything to intentionally hurt you, nor would I tolerate it from anyone else.  You all are gorgeous, smart, funny and amazing women and I sure am blessed that you're in my life.  

As I say to my babies, I love you to the moon and stars and moon and stars and back!







No comments:

Post a Comment