Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Banshee

A banshee is a part of Irish folklore and represents impending death.  My biological father used to tell stories about banshees when I was young, only now can I see the irony in that.

Tonight while on a walk near our home, Jerry and I heard this unrecognizable screech sound just over our head.  However, despite the fact that we both looked up immediately, neither of us saw anything.  I hadn't thought of banshees in forever, but at that moment they immediately crossed my mind.

Today was an odd day, a mixture of happy and sad.  I won't go into details, just one of those days you'd like to only relive part of.  (Like a Seahawks win and later watching my little ones laugh while swimming for the last time this season at Wild Waves.)  

But like the Irish folklore, who come out of nowhere bringing fear and even death, life is full of it's own symbolic banshees that we all must deal with.  Figurative demons, that swoop into our lives unannounced and unwelcome.  I am left wondering, how do we even fight such things and is it even possible?

I suppose tonight's blog was more along the line of a question, versus a statement.


No comments:

Post a Comment