Monday, December 17, 2012

There is beauty in the world; my five am wake up call and my continued reflection (as well as the President's) on the tragedy in Newtown, CT.

Right about five am this morning I woke with a start to an alert binging from Jerry's phone. Apparently there was a blizzard warning in the mountains, and it startled me to the point where I knew I wouldn't be falling back to sleep.  So I quickly jumped out of bed and rushed to make the 5:30 am Zumba class at the YMCA.  I had always wanted to go ( I love the instructors who teach it) and today was the perfect opportunity.  

I loved it.  It was kind of exhilarating being up and exercising so early, especially with the aid of up beat music and dancing.  At the end of the class, the cool down song was "Beauty in The World" As I listened to the words my mind went back to the Newtown CT tragedy.  I, like probably most the world, can not get those babies out of my mind.  Over the last few days as their sweet little faces started to appear on the news, via Facebook and on the internet sites, it has just torn at my heart the idea that they are gone.  What their families must be going through is unfathomable. 

However, as the song reminded me the little ones who were taken are the beauty in the world.  Their smiles and beautiful little souls represent the very best of what we are.  We can not forget that and in honor of them, we need to spread that beauty.  

Last night I watched as President Obama addressed Newtown.  I have to say no matter your political views,  he was wonderful and his words spoke directly to my heart.  Below is a portion of his speech:


"...You know, someone once described the joy and anxiety of parenthood as the equivalent of having your heart outside of your body all the time, walking around.
With their very first cry, this most precious, vital part of ourselves, our child, is suddenly exposed to the world, to possible mishap or malice, and every parent knows there’s nothing we will not do to shield our children from harm. And yet we also know that with that child’s very first step and each step after that, they are separating from us, that we won’t -- that we can’t always be there for them.
They will suffer sickness and setbacks and broken hearts and disappointments, and we learn that our most important job is to give them what they need to become self-reliant and capable and resilient, ready to face the world without fear. And we know we can’t do this by ourselves.
It comes as a shock at a certain point where you realize no matter how much you love these kids, you can’t do it by yourself, that this job of keeping our children safe and teaching them well is something we can only do together, with the help of friends and neighbors, the help of a community and the help of a nation... 
...We know our time on this Earth is fleeting. We know that we will each have our share of pleasure and pain, that even after we chase after some earthly goal, whether it’s wealth or power or fame or just simple comfort, we will, in some fashion, fall short of what we had hoped. We know that, no matter how good our intentions, we’ll all stumble sometimes in some way.

We’ll make mistakes, we’ll experience hardships and even when we’re trying to do the right thing, we know that much of our time will be spent groping through the darkness, so often unable to discern God’s heavenly plans.

There’s only one thing we can be sure of, and that is the love that we have for our children, for our families, for each other. The warmth of a small child’s embrace, that is true.

The memories we have of them, the joy that they bring, the wonder we see through their eyes, that fierce and boundless love we feel for them, a love that takes us out of ourselves and binds us to something larger, we know that’s what matters.

We know we’re always doing right when we’re taking care of them, when we’re teaching them well, when we’re showing acts of kindness. We don’t go wrong when we do that.

That’s what we can be sure of, and that’s what you, the people of Newtown, have reminded us. That’s how you’ve inspired us. You remind us what matters. And that’s what should drive us forward in everything we do for as long as God sees fit to keep us on this Earth..." 1

Last night the girls couldn't sleep. (My Jerry is wonderful in this department and often thinks of just the right thing to say.)  Tomorrow they travel to Indiana and they are both nervous about the flight and I think a little sad about leaving their momma.  I know that I am very sad to be saying good-bye to my babies, even if  it is just for two weeks.  They are my heart. Each and everyone of my babies are the best of me and what I am most proud of.  

Christmas Day will be very bittersweet for me.  I fly to Albuquerque for my sister's wedding and will meet my Savannah and Sam there on Christmas night.  (I am already imaging hugging and kissing them in the most wonderful fashion!)  However two littles will be in Indiana and two more in Washington. (Max and Brayden are staying back)  As President Obama said, we can't do this alone and I have to trust that they will be safe and loved where they are and that come January 2nd we will all be together.

Over the last few days, I have also dealt with a battle of emotions concerning the joy of the holiday season and the sadness and heartbreak of Newtown.  Part of me wonders how we can all smile and go about our Christmas, while those in Newtown grieve.  I believe this is where the children come in.  In my heart I know that they would want the whole world to celebrate for them, to enjoy the holidays for each and everyone of them, to cherish all the joys of the season as they would have done.  In their honor I am trying to see and appreciate Christmas through the eyes and heart of a child.  Please Read 

I also believe that the girls have carried some of the heartbreak of the Newtown tragedy.  They have seen some of the children who have been lost and the idea that such a thing happened is so sad and scary to them.  I can't negate their feelings and I can only try and comfort them by stating the fact that each and everyone went straight to heaven as fast as God could carry them.  I believe this is true.  Most were just first graders, full of faith, hope and light.  Drawing on that faith in all things good, I am going to picture them in heaven and do what I can on earth to love my own precious blessings and leave what I can't control in the hands of God.   
     
“... Let the little children come to me,” Jesus said, “and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
Charlotte, Daniel, Olivia, Josephine, Ana, Dylan, Madeline, Catherine, Chase, Jesse, James, Grace, Emilie, Jack, Noah, Caroline, Jessica, Benjamin, Avielle, Allison, God has called them all home..." 1
1 President Obama The Washington Post




No comments:

Post a Comment