Saturday, December 8, 2012

It's like riding a bike...

It's like riding a bike.  That's what I thought of while taking a spin class at the YMCA yesterday. At one point I closed my eyes and I felt like I was back at the Fort Collins Club getting my ass handed to me.  The instructor was great and the music choices were perfect.  I hadn't taken one in quite a while and I loved it!  


A few nights ago, while Jerry was massaging me (no funny business... promise) I began to do something almost subconsciously, I imagined the bike ride from my old house in Colorado to school (CSU).  Along the path and over the bridge and past the firehouse I went.  My mind has come here before, several times, almost in a meditative state.  Those bike rides were my saving grace during my last semester and throughout my months in Fort Collins.  I found my sanity on that path and It is funny that is where my mind goes sometimes when I am relaxed.    

When I moved to Washington, one of the "things" left behind that I truly mourned, was my bike.  Jerry knew this and Christmas 2010 he bought me a one, although now I must admit I take his when I am able to bike alone, his bike rocks!  In the warmer months I pull Max in a buggy and even get the kids to come along sometimes for a trip to the store or as alternative transportation to school.    

Anyway, last year about this time I began to bike again, and now one of my favorite things to do is to jump on my bike and just go for a ride.  I listen to my music and take the opportunity to think, about everything and anything.  Often times while I am biking I come up with blog posts, unfortunately most of them don't come to fruition, it's hard to type and bike after all.  And at least once during a ride, I stop and take pictures, trying to capture the sky, the changing trees or recently I took a shot of a trash can.  It was  placed at the merge of two paths and the symbolism that jumped out at me was the opportunity to dump your "garbage" before moving on in a new direction. 


For me exercising is a necessity.  The ability to get outside or at least get my heart rate up, allows for me to relax and have the ability to listen to what my heart and mind are trying to say.  I think I have made most of my major decisions while walking, hiking, biking, running or roller-blading.  Maybe God has easier access to me or the trees whisper the answers while I go by, I am not sure.  But if you are struggling with something or your heart is aching, go outside and allow God to make a rainbow from your tears.  

No comments:

Post a Comment