Sunday, December 9, 2012

Love is Love: My view on Same Sex Marriage

I grew up in the Midwest in a conservative household in Northern Indiana.  My parents raised me Catholic and made sure we went to church every Saturday or Sunday.  If you are going by the definition of traditional marriage my parents fit the bill.  However, if you want to discuss the "sanctity" of marriage, this same traditional marriage included the terms; infidelity, disfunction and ultimately divorce.  Unfortunately, at that point, as well as during my own divorce, any argument that there is some special sanctity between men and women is ludicrous to me. 

Today in Washington Same Sex Couples were able to legally marry.  On the news tonight they showed one couple had been together for sixteen years and were finally able to become newly-weds.  In my opinion, good for them, they deserved for this day to finally come to fruition.  As I continued to watch the segment, I couldn't help but think of a few of my friends back in New Mexico who have also been with their partners for many years.  They have been one of my favorite examples for love, loyalty and true partnership.  

Love is love in my eyes.  This is my opinion.  I have found that both true heartache and true love do exist, I just don't think it is for any of us to define, nor put stipulations on it.  Just allow it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment