Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Love

1 Corinthians 13: 4-7
Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

I was talking to a girlfriend who is contemplating divorce.  I heard and felt and understood the pain, fear, hurt and worry in her voice.  I heard the doubt she felt and it broke my heart to hear her beat herself up.  I was that woman.  I was in her shoes. 

I thought about this bible verse.  It is often read during a marriage ceremony.  But how many of us really listen to it.  I want to ask my girlfriend the next time we speak if she can read this and parallel it to her own relationship. 

Love is kind.  It does not bully.  It is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude.  Love is what I want for my children, my family, my friends.  This form of love.  They deserve it.  So do I. 

I want to tell my friend that you get married on the premise of this bible verse.  But if it is not there, then you are not letting your children down by dissolving a marriage.  You let your children down when you live with out Love.  You are telling them that all of the negative behavior is okay even though you know it is not.  But mostly I want to tell her that Love does exist and it is waiting for her. 

I found it.  I wasn't looking for it.  It wasn't at the best moment or the most obvious one, but it was there, patiently waiting for me, until I realized I deserved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment