Sunday, April 3, 2011

Beaches and Rain drops

Do you remember when you were little and you had one of those days that you knew you would never forget?  I am blessed and cursed with an amazing memory.  My mind is funny, even if I try to forget certain events, my dreams and subconscious bring them back.  But some memories, the good ones, I try and replay over in my mind like a movie so that I won't ever forget them.  I was lucky enough to have some of those memories this last week.  We saw a sign in a store that read, "Don't wait out the storm, learn to dance in the rain." We took this sign to heart.

Last Sunday we packed up the car and headed to Seaside.  It was raining, we had a little hassle with the dog's grooming and I wasn't feeling very well, but we were off (I later realized I had a flaming case of Mastitis.  Whoever has breastfed and had this wonderful issue knows it makes you feel like crap and is a pain in the breast! p.s. thank you to a sweet friend for helping me out with antibiotics... you saved my vacation.) 

Without too many "when are we going to be there(s)?" and a side of the road pee (something I am notorious for) we arrived.  We found a hotel on the beach with connecting rooms.  It was great.  It had a balcony and a fireplace that we had going almost 24-7 drying clothes that got wet either from the ocean or the rain.  The best part of it was that we used change to pay for it.  Jerry has this huge coke bottle that he collects change in and the kids wanted to use it for a vacation, so we cashed it in and had enough for our hotel, gas and spending money.  :)  It was a good lesson for the kids to show them you can save up your pennies for something.

We had a wonderful time.  Of course the kids had their moments, but all in all they were really good.  They fell asleep with a few giggles.  We walked around the little town and the kids rode the Carousel and Whirl-O-thingy.  We found this candy store with 80's candy and bought a bunch to sample with the kids. (I was a bad girl with my lent promise... I ate some candy and sweets.)  There was also this cool Aquarium that we went to on Tuesday that was very cool.  We had just watched a documentary on the Puget Sound and all of the sea life with there for the kids to see up close.  They also had harbor seals that you could feed.  That was hilarious.  They did tricks for their fish, like splash you til you were soaked.  We also enjoyed a daily visit to the indoor pool.  We worked on getting Brayden to swim under water, the girls were great teachers and Max showed off his skills that he has been learning in his Shrimp swim class. 

But my favorite day was Wednesday.  We were supposed to go home, but we decided to stay an extra day.  On Tuesday night we drove to Cannon Beach to eat and decided to come back the next day to explore.  But it was pouring... raining sideways.  We drove through Ecola State park, took 10 minutes to get all covered up to go walking and lasted about three minutes before we headed back to the car.  We headed into town and walked around trying to stay out of the rain and keep the kids happy while having to say "no" to all the pretties and playthings they asked for.  We did find the homemade Salt water Taffy we were searching for which made everyone smile.  Then we all piled in the car and parked by the water so I could nurse Max and we fed Seagulls out of our windows popcorn.  Then came my favorite part... one of those memories that I hope the kids never forget and I know I never will.  We drove to a spot where you could see Haystack Rock, a super cool random rock formation jutting out of the ocean.  We bundled up again and headed out, but this time we did not turn back.  We said screw the rain, let's have some fun.  Wading across the raging water runoff we took off running across the beach.  We were several hundred yards from the rock and getting soaked by the second, but we didn't care.  I had Max all bundled up inside of my sweatshirt and jacket and he giggled and eventually feel asleep as I jogged/walked to our destination.  It was awesome.  The tide was still out so we were able to walk in the tide pools and see clams, sea urchins, starfish and many other forms of sea life.  The rock blocked the wind and allowed for some pictures.  The girls and I played frogger with the approaching tide so that we could touch the starfish.  We laughed and smiled the whole time, finally embracing the weather and just loving this moment.  I told Sage that if Savannah and Sam were here, this would be a perfect moment, because they were in my heart, it was close. 

One other special memory was Tuesday night. Jerry and I loved to watch the wind whip and blow the sand and wind sideways down the beach.  I would look out at the ocean and think that how fun would it be to just go out there and run around... so I did.  I put on Jerry's black rain coat and went out in the blowing rain in my pj

I have been through  many ups and downs over the years and it was a bit of a "full circle" feeling to be back at the Oregon coast.  Back in 1996 I came here searching for a band aid for my broken heart.  I found one, but it wasn't big enough and I still had a lot to go through.  But my heart always longed to be back in this part of the country.  Now every time I get to the water I feel a bit of me heals.  I can't get enough. 

We got home Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning I was already planing our next visit to the sea.  A day trip to Whidbey island.  Jerry had the day off and so Max, the girls and him and I headed out.  We had a wonderful day exploring Langley, Coupville and Fort Casey State Park. We ate some treats and watched the Puppy run around all crazy on the beach.  Taking the ferry back on to the mainland with the wind howling and the waves rocking the boat, I watched the girls laugh and felt so lucky to be able to experience this with them.  My breath was taken away several times during the day by the beauty of the sea, and I was so grateful to have the ability to bring myself back to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment