Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baseball, babies, breastfeeding and a patient boyfriend.

Friday night Jerry, Max and I went to Opening Day at Safeco field to watch the Seattle Mariners.  I was pretty excited to get to go and have a date night with Jerry.  It had been a while.  Although we joke that every night is date night after the kids go to bed.  We make the commitment to sit together and spend time, even if it is just to watch t.v.  Anyway, traffic was good and it was a beautiful day.  Sunny in Seattle.  We had gotten our tickets just two days before and being that it was opening night, we weren't too sure how good they would be.  But as we walked down to them we realized we were just three rows up from the Mariner's dugout.  Yeah!  We were able to have an awesome view of all the festivities, which included a memorial for Dave Niehaus, Felix Hernandez receiving his American League Cy Young award, as well as Ichiro Suzuki and Franklin Gutierrez who received 2010 Rawlings Gold Glove Awards.   We were super excited to be there, we couldn't stop smiling, except we both got teary eyed when they honored Dave and even Ron Santo who I really admired and used to love to listen to. 

Then there was Max, who was awesome!  We were seated near a bunch of guys who just adored him and one of them even made it his goal to get Max a ball. And he did!  In the Forth inning the Indians scored ten runs and after the final out, they threw a ball into the crowd and our new found friend snagged it.   Max then proceeded to eat the ball and everyone thought that was so cute.  The guy behind me even took a picture and sent it to his wife, who then sent it to her mom in NC who then proceeded to call Max the "cutest thing ever." I guess Max thought that mom and dad deserved a fun night out, even if the Mariners didn't win. 

One of the coolest things was how much fun we had even though they didn't win.  Like Jerry said, if you go to ten games in a year and they win six, that is awesome!  And I was shocked at how well he took the loss... for those of you who know, I am a big Cubs fan, so my relationship with the Mariners is just starting, but Jerry is a big fan, but a not a sour loser, which makes him fun to watch games with. 

Another funny tid bit about the game was we were on television ALOT!   We realized this after several text messages from people telling Jerry that they could see us every time a left handed batter was up.  So after realizing that eventually Max would get hungry and I have a strict policy of not missing a pitch, we pondered how I would nurse Max while being on television.  Yes, I had brought my hooter hider, but that seemed to make what I was doing obvious.  But what are you going to do?  A baby has to eat.  So I nursed.  I haven't watched that part of the game yet to see if you can tell, but oh well if you can.  Isn't that what hooters are for, or "dinners" as Jerry and I call them, (we got this name from my grandma Miller).  He even fell asleep for a little while after his meal, even among all the commotion. 


All in all it was an awesome night.  One thing I love about Jerry is how relaxed he is.  He sets such a positive mood for everything.  I no longer walk on eggshells.  I know that each and every day no matter what we do he is going to shed a positive light on it.  As he often says to me, it is what it is. One moment that really stood out on Friday, was on the way to the game I  really had to go pee,  Really bad!  We were in downtown Seattle at that point, and in the Industrial part of town.  We were supposed to stay in the the left lane to head to the stadium, but he got in the right so I could go to the bathroom in this furniture store.  God bless him.  Because of this, he had to park in the nearest lot, which was cheap, only ten dollars, but a long walk from the stadium.  And then during our long walk, we hit the train tracks and got held up by the longest train in history, delaying getting to the game even more.  He could have been mad about several things, like parking before the railroad tracks, But he wasn't.  It was what it was and his positive attitude set the tone for the night.  I found as he stayed relaxed, my anxiety level fell as we stood waiting for the never ending train to pass.  And, we still made it to our seats on time and even were able to get something to eat before the start of the festivities. 

And to end this little blog I'll leave you with this, a quote from some one else, not sure who, it isn't whether you win or loose, but how you play the game, or enjoy the game in this case.   

No comments:

Post a Comment