Saturday, August 4, 2012

Life moves on and we adjust more to having Max in his spica cast.

Wow!  So last night we put the front of the crib back on Max's crib/toddler bed and put the bumper pads in to block his legs from the slats. The result, Max slept through the night!  Knock on wood, but maybe being back in his own bed helped him sleep better, plus the swelling is finally starting to go down in his injured leg.  The only problem was that mom and dad were anxious for him, so we still didn't sleep super good :)  I think we need a few more days to breath a little easier.

Today it's gorgeous and warm, but we got out for a walk and found some round pillows at the same garage sale, just another piece in the comfort puzzle for little Max... so thanks Beth for the donation to the happy Max fund and also for the push pop. 

I was talking with my friend Jen today about all of this and she helped me really put things in perspective about the concept of fixable vs. not.  Prayers being answered, Max's injury is fixable.  Although truth be told it is hard to deal with right now, I am trying to count my blessings, such as the fact that everyday he seems to be doing better and the outpouring of support from everyone, especially my neighborhood.  If this had happened in winter, yes, we wouldn't mind so much being housebound, but also we wouldn't have the good weather that has allowed us to get outside every day.  All the daily interactions with my neighbors have led to the additional materials and such, not to mention all the kind words, has made our lives easier and Max more comfortable.

As I said before, I'm bummed that he probably won't be able to swim at Wild Waves the rest of the summer or run around with his friends.  Our ability to go on outings is limited, but it is what it is.  My attitude will dictate my happiness, as well as tone of the household.  I am truly lucky that Jerry has been such a sweetie through all this and was even able to take a few days off when it first happened.  Today actually was his first full day back.  Next weekend I have a four day trade show for work so we will have to swap rolls and he will be the one home during the day with Max.  If we can't work as partners, then this won't work.  So I will definitely add his support to my "what I am thankful for" list.

No one ever said life was easy.  The days just before this happened were rough for the simple fact that I really miss Savannah and Sam.  Being able to tuck them in and kiss them good-night and just have fun with them while we were at the lake was so awesome.  It's just plain heartbreaking saying good-bye to them.  Life isn't always easy, but it is short and I need to learn from this experience that you never know what your future is or what can happen and you just need to appreciate what you have when you have it.  It has also made me super greatful that I did get two awesome weeks with all six of my littles!


Max's buddy Luke joined him on the blanket outside.  What cuties!
Tonight we had our neighbors over for a bar b que.  It was nice to have company and all the kids had a blast playing with each other.  This afternoon Max really took to the floor to army crawl his way around so Saxton and I put knee pads on him to try and protect his cast.  I can assure you that if I had fractured my femur like he did, I would not be crawling around just four days later, no adult would.  He just won't be stopped.  The doctors emphasized how resilient babies are and Max is a huge example of that.  He is already saying, "walk" and is getting super frustrated at times at being held back by his massive cast.  I think the weather is playing a huge part as well. It was quite an oven today (95) and being in a cast can't be comfortable.  Even the girls and their friends were super hot, resorting to a steady Popsicle diet.  It sure is what it is though and we made due and made lemonade out of lemons, laying a blanket outside in the cool grass. 
This made one little boy (and his momma) pretty happy. 

Max is starting to roll over and extensively army crawl... you can see the determination in his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment