Sunday, August 5, 2012

A seafair kind of day

Today was a good day.  Did we have a few off moments, absolutely, that's how life rolls, but all in all we had a lot of fun.  It started off with the fact that Max slept in his crib again last night and only woke up briefly in the middle of the night.  He woke up early early this morning and I gave him some water and changed his diaper and he ended up falling back asleep.  I was super grateful... I was starting to feel like a zombie.

I knew that I wanted to get out of the house today (momma and Max were both getting a little stir crazy) so after hemming and hawing, we decided to go try and find a place to watch  Seafair .  We were running too late to try to go to the actual park, so we decided to try our luck at finding a place along Lake Washington to watch. (I also didn't want him around a bunch of crowds and risk him getting bumped. I'm such a worry wart.)  Anyway, one of the coolest parts of the show are the Blue Angels .  Max loves LOVES planes and boats so we thought it might be fun for him to watch the airshow.  After making our way around Seattle and through traffic we finally found a parking spot.  We had to manage our way down several steep hills to get to the water but we finally made it and just happened upon (thanks to a little help from my phone) a small public access beach, tiny really, but with an awesome view and free! (Seafair can be expensive after you buy parking, tickets, ect...) 

The girls spent much of the day happily playing in the water and Jerry and I were lucky enough to find a spot on a cement slab for our chairs.  (Max was happiest and most comfortable on our laps.)  The waves from the lake would rush over the slab and cool our feet, it was wonderful on a hot day.  And Max loved it!  He was so cute how he would wave at the planes going 600 miles an hour above his head.  It was one of those days that we weren't sure how it would go, it was our first big outing with Max (thank goodness for the stroller my neighbor lent us) and we really had no idea where we would end up, but it all worked out. 

Max was a bit loud in the car but I think he was just happy to be out and about and letting the whole world know it.  I think the hardest part for him is the major crimp the Spica cast puts on his mobility.  His swelling is finally pretty much gone and he didn't complain about any pain today so he probably wonders why he's in this straight jacket.  I'm curious if this is the norm for this type of injury. My thought is that because he is so young and his bones are growing so rapidly, he is healing much faster and an adult would.  The hospital staff told us that he will do what he feels comfortable, and like I said yesterday, he is already army crawling like a pro. 



Watching the Blue Angels today made me realize how awesome life is.  I was trying to explain in a way that the girls could fathom how amazing and insane the way they fly is.  Poor things had to hear about how they would puke all over themselves if they even just went for a ride.  That might have been TMI but oh well, that's the way I roll.  I just want them to know they can shoot for the moon and ride a rocket, all they had to do was believe. (Although I think I would have a full on heart attack if they actually did.)

So other than the crazy up hill climb back to our car in blazing heat, the day was great! The girls were champs and pushed/pulled the wagon filled with our stuff up most of the way, while Jerry and I pushed Max. I was proud of my little pack mules, and they didn't complain! I think they were pretty comfortable because they were wet from swimming, and so was I. I have to admit I was wearing bathing suite-ish undergarments and after everyone left I jumped in and swam in the lake, it felt outstanding! (Little Max had fallen asleep on dad and so I knew he wouldn't be sad, my little fish.)

I know these next weeks are going to be a challenge, just the simple things like getting Max in and out of his crib are difficult (really rough on the back.)  Baths are now done with his little head being held over the kitchen sink and he can't follow me around anymore, he has to be carried.  His cast is already starting to become compromised as far as the waterproof lining and I am sure it will be filthy and stinky when all is said and done. 

The biggest change is the way I see things now concerning not only my children, but others as well, cringing at every fall, every climb or bike ride.  I have even told teenage girls to wear helmets and to not drag their friends riding skateboards on their bellies behind scooters (I think I had an argument there.)  I worry.  Max's fall was so small and onto a pillow for goodness sakes, that I worry about what a huge fall would do.  I know his leg is going to be fragile for some time even after his cast comes off

No comments:

Post a Comment