Friday, May 31, 2013

Sell me in a garage sale.

Today was garage sale day and to say the least, it was enlightening.  The garage sale culture is one where daughters ask mothers for a $3.00 item for their thirteenth birthday present and mom actually hemmed and hawed over such a request, even after the daughter offered to do chores.  Garage sales are the only place in "sales" if you want to call it that, where someone will actually ask you if you'll take 20 cents for a frame already marked down to a quarter.  This truly happened to me and I profited 40 cents on two frames that probably retailed for a total of $15.  Granted, they were several years old and dinged up, but still... 20 cents.

Max watching his friend drive away.
People literally want something for nothing.  Well not all people... today I was graced by this amazing elderly lady, 82 years old, driven around by her son, in an ancient truck that was barely running.  She was an angel in disguise, who deserved to be pampered, but instead chose to collect the ingredients for terminal patient's care packages.  When I tried to give her items for free, she insisted on paying for them.  (So I dropped my prices 95% and in garage sale speak that means pricing things for mere cents instead of dollars.)  I was in love.  So was Max.  Their friendship was sealed when she gave him a 5 cent tip, a "token in appreciation" as she called it.  She truly put my whole day into perspective.      

Life is somewhat similar to a garage sale, where not just items, but people become old hat and their worth fades to almost nothing in the eyes of others.  Then, just when you least expect it, angels come along and see value, giving an item, or a person, new life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment