Monday, May 27, 2013

Africa

I have been going through things while cleaning and packing for our move.  Yesterday I found a book with a journal entry that I wrote while I was still in Africa in June 2009:

A "hostel" greeting.  I heard them in the distance screaming and singing from their core and running at Beth their Momma Africa!  I cried out in wonder at such a massive sight of love and hugs and gratefulness... but wait!  Were they now running to me? Was I off my feet?  Were they now hugging me?  Singing and yelling with joy!  My heart was won in Africa standing there in the street!

The nets were few the people still many, my heart began to break.  It shattered down to my core to see the desperation  But they stood all day in a blazing sun, hungry babies on their back and now they go home empty handed. 


Wake up Africa!  6:30 am Bell toll, singing starts thereafter, rooster has been going already for hours.  Geese guarding their eggs, five varieties of birds discussing the long awaited rain.  Insects chattering through their bath.  The only silence comes from the bats who were up all night partying and dive bombing the mosquitos away.  

Everyone should visit Africa if you want a change of life where logs are chopped down and twigs set just so, waiting for the rain and mud to make walls and floors.  Kitchens made to stand alone, water fetched from miles, beans beat on the ground so that pods could be shucked dry.  Corn stands tall making a snack for chickens who wander to and fro.  Little ones chew on sugarcane, big ones hard at work, washing done by hand here.  Cars do not exist, a bike is a luxury, TV you must search for, but what's the point of that? Latrining, latrining what a lot of fun!  A hole behind a door outside in the sun.  You crouch and "ease" wiping away the flies.  wipe up, clean up, what a lot of fun!


I think I saw God smile today in Africa as I was walking down the road.  He was masquerading as an old woman bowing at my feet, hugging and kissing me, parading her Rosary like gold.  Or was he the child, rags hanging from her protruding belly, with bare feet mutilated from chiggers and a fly encrusted head.  She smiled at me, she laughed with me, she didn't notice my tears.  I know I saw God today in two small friends.  They held hands and giggled over a tiny little prize.  I prompted them to show me, they did without delay, unclasping such a treasure, a tiny bottle cap.


I never imagined the extent of someone else's nightmare that I would witness while living my dream.  I have never seen those with nothing, give more love than is believable. I have never seen heaven and hell all in the same day until I came to Africa.




Typing this brought back memories and tears.   I remember writing those words and I am grateful for the perspective that comes from reading them.  My life has changed so much since my journey to Africa, but a part of my heart will always remain there.  I fell in love with Africa, the people and the spirt that radiates off of them.  I am grateful to Beth and her husband Jim for bring me with them to Uganda with Think Humanity.  I am so proud of them for all their hard work and dedication to making all the refugees lives better.  For more information on how to help visit Thinkhumanity.org.  



No comments:

Post a Comment