Monday, January 14, 2013

My Seattle Seahawks.

I was born in Indiana and raised a Bear's fan. However, I fell in love with the Seahawks on January 3rd, 2010, when shortly after I moved to Washington from Colorado, my husband took me to my first game. We sat a mere seven rows behind the Seahawks bench on the 50 yard line. The game was awesome, loud and exhilarating!  It was love at first sight and I had finally found my home.

Max in his football stance.

That fall, we brought our newborn son Max to his first game. Although remarkably he slept through the whole thunderous experience, I believe he became a lifelong fan that day. He is now two and a half and it took the jaws of life to disrobe him of his Marshawn Lynch jersey that so desperately needed a wash.



I sadly hung up my own Jersey (a Christmas Present from my husband that I wore daily this past week).  It is my first NFL official Jersey and proudly represents #3, Russell Wilson. I became a die hard fan of his in the pre-season and my faith in him never wavered. (Check Facebook for proof!) He represents what every athlete should aspire to; class, integrity and smarts. Early in the season, I called ESPN sports radio and defended his position as quarter back. I am expecting a, "you were right," phone call any day now.


My little Max reminded me yesterday, as he cheered faithfully the entire game, that a fan is a fan, win or lose. Love for a team as for anything, is meant to be unconditional.  The disappointment that was felt throughout the city yesterday was palpable, my husband termed it as a sort of "hangover" feeling after a big party.  The last few weeks were so exciting, everyone seemed to be in the Seahawks spirit.  Everywhere you went, almost everyone you ran into was wearing something Seahawks.  I loved it.  

My husband, me, my cousin and niece at
infamous Packers game.  
This entire season has been a blast starting off with the Green Bay game.  My husband and I took my cousin (a Packer's fan visiting from Chicago) and our niece.  It was an insane game and I lost my voice for days.  We were able to go to the game versus the Vikings as well, another great win.  We didn't miss watching a game (except for my sister's wedding, and we still listened to it and followed it on our phones.)  Last week we had all six of our kids in the spirit and we successfully willed their playoff win against the Redskins.

Another important note to be made is that I am girl.  Not only am I a girl, but I am a girl who lives and breathes Seahawks football.  I know the players, I know the rules and I look forward to the games just as much as any guy I know.  This season I am a girl who emotionally connected herself with a team and it's players.  I believed in them and cheered as they surprised everyone but me, for  I knew they were good all along.  Now I realize their season is over, but they are a young team and there is already an excited anticipation for next season.  
After all, football, is just a game, and like in life, sometimes you lose. But, no matter what, if you continue to try and do your best, be your best and believe in yourself, you'll also win a few along the way.  Thanks Seahawks for an awesome season and for reminding me that hope does exist. Go Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment