Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My love, my life, my family.

The silence is deafening.  I knew it would be.  Jerry and Max are asleep, it is just after 6 am here, but my body thinks it is after 8.  That is not the problem though, it is the fact that there are five empty beds and no littles to fill them.  I went through their rooms again today, their sheets still all messy like they left them (we left super early for the airport) and I think it will be some time before I change that.  I came downstairs where there are still dishes left in the sink from our last meal before vacation.  Shoes are dropped, everything is almost paused as if we were all going to come back and pick up where we left off, but we are not.  They are not here and I can't sleep.

One thing I noticed  while we were gone was that I slept when I was in Minnesota.  Even though I had a stupid cough and some allergy issues, I slept soundly.  Before I would go to bed I would kiss the kids again and then go lay with Savannah for a few minutes.  She stayed up with us at night and went to bed when we did.  The second to last night before we left I was laying with her holding her hand.  She fell asleep and I started to cry... I knew how much I was going to miss her.  It was palpable, I could almost feel it in the room.  I knew this day would come where I would miss them all so much.

The crazy thing is it doesn't help right now that we had so a phenomenal time.  I know that sounds nuts, but it makes it harder.  There were no moments when I looked forward to them leaving.  No big fights or outburst when I wished them gone.  I wanted them there every single second.  I tried to squeeze enjoyment out of every single moment.  This is not to say they were perfect the whole time, that would be a lie that not one parent reading this blog would believe, but what is true is that I loved every moment, even if they were cranky ones.

Jerry's mom hugged me yesterday and said, "I hope you had a good time."  I hugged her back and quickly thought of what to say to her to express that I had an unforgettable time, a taste of heaven.  How could I thank her and Jerry's Dad and Jerry himself for giving me these days with my babies.  How do you repay such a gift.  I don't think I can. 

I was a kid again at the lake.  I played!  I had so much fun just playing with my kids.  Jerry commented about my enjoyment of tubing with them.  My smile on my face, how he could hear me joyfully screaming.  I did, scream... and laugh and sing with the kids.  I loved how for a moment life stood still.  We would all look at each other and smile as we skidded across the water.  I tried so hard to take mental pictures, snapshots that I could replay in times like this, when I missed them desperately.  I told Savannah and Sam that I wanted to bottle up the lake.  take it home with me so I could open it up and relive these moments.  It seemed possible then.  Now I just want them.

Savannah and I and sometimes all the kids would sing when we tubed.  We would belt out songs like "A whole new world," from Aladdin... "don't you dare close your eyes," and it is amazing now how appropriate that song was.  Jerry took the kids and I on a magic carpet ride to a place called "The Lake" and allowed us to live in a Disney movie for fifteen days.  He gave me a gift.  He and his parents.

Grandma and Papa spoiled us.  Jerry's mom loves to cook and she is an amazing one at that.  Fresh banana muffins, fried Chicken, homemade cakes (like the one she made for Jerry's and then Saxton and Max's birthday parties), homemade beans and pizza rolls (that the neighbor's fight over.)  Her and Papa made Beef Teriyaki for Jerry's Party and Prime Rib for Saxton and Max's party.  I could go on and on but it wouldn't do any of it justice.  The food and the love put into that food was amazing.  We all gained a little weight for sure, but especially Max, who's favorite place to eat was on Grandma's or Pap's lap. Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

Papa is a wood artist.  He can build and create just about anything.  When we arrived there were boats and cars, a plane, helicopter and even a train for the kids to paint for Max's birthday.  Sam spent over two days working on a car with Papa, they made it from scratch.  Papa even taught Sam how to work the Puzzle machine and the sander.  We had a lot of fun in Papa's workshop making  and painting stuff.  On Saturday Jerry took Saxton to the store so Savannah and Sage and I could make Saxton a sign for her birthday.  It read, "Two Peas in a Pod."  Sage and Papa had cut out a heart on Friday while Jerry, Savannah, Sam and I ran to the store for a few last minute presents and decorations.  Savannah helped me with the lettering and Sage did too.  I used the dremel to carve out the words and then we painted it green.  It turned out really cute and I think I love it as much as she does because I know the love that went into it.  Thank you Papa for sharing your wood shop/garage.  Thank you! Thank you!  I hope the kids did a good job cleaning it up :)

Another thing we did like crazy was swim.  I loved it, they loved it!  There were weeds off the dock.  We didn't care.  Actually I was a little leery the first time, but then my little fish, Ms. Sage swam with me and told me to pretend we were fish and we were swimming in our home... that really helped and I was good from then on.  We sang songs to the tune of jingle bells about the weeds.  We would peer at them with our noses in the water and our eyes just above and look for fish or creatures that might be swimming below.  We plucked weeds and tried to see how long they were or made weed wreaths on our heads.  And if you swam far enough the weeds gave way to deeper water and that's where we would dive and swim under the water and pop up on another unexpectedly. One person who was super nervous of the weeds was Brayden, but I am proud to announce on the last night, he jumped in and swam in the weeds!!! We would take the boat out to swim, sometimes parking it with the neighbors for hours.  We would just sit in the water and hang out, enjoying a hot day in cool water.  I think the Zack Brown Band says it best, "I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand Life is good today. Life is good today...." 

One of our other favorite water activities was taking a Minnesota bath.  This requires that you wash your hair in the lake.  Jerry, the kids and I all partook, several times.  Sometimes we would jump off the boat and sometimes in more shallow water.  Jerry's Aunt's place is really clear, so we really didn't have to worry about weeds, but we bathed at his parents beach as well.  I even quandered  the idea of not showering the whole time I was at the lake... that didn't happen, but I bathed in the lake more than the shower... so that was something. 


Puppy, our dog, came with us.  And other than a few accidents and some scared birds, squirrels and birds it was awesome having her there.  She loved it!   The lake the wonderful critters to chase, being with all of the kids and us.  We took her with us boating and tubing (she watched) and swimming.  She had her own many Minnesota baths, one after she rubbed her face in the most disgusting smelling yuck.  We later realized she was trying to get a tick off her head.  Savannah helped us hold her while Jerry burned it off.  But she is part of the family and was spoiled as well.  We brought home a ton of dog food because she, like the rest of us was absolutly spoiled by grandma's cooking.  Don't let her fool you and say she doesn't like dogs, she loves Puppy.  And Puppy loves her and Papa.  One funny story, Puppy came inside clean, but a little wet and jumped on the couch next to Papa.  I was horrified and told her to get off... but Papa told her different, to stay right there next to him.  He didn't care that she was a little wet, he wanted to sit with his friend on the couch.

Max had his first lake experience (out of the belly home) and I believe he loved it.  He was spoiled with love.  I don't know many babies who are loved like Max is.  Not just by one or two of the kids, but all of them!  They think he is just "so tute (cute)" as Sage says.  Between Grandma, Papa, Jerry, the kids and I, Max wanted for nothing and learned everything he could.  Savannah taught him to high five, Grandma and Papa taught him "So Big" just before we left and all the kids taught him to wave good-bye.  Sometimes when we took the kids tubing he would stay behind with Jerry's parents.  On one of these occasions they watched as he figured out how to use a pillow to climb on the coffee table.  They were so proud.  Another sweet thing to watch was when we brought him swimming.  They loved to play with him and watch him enjoy the water.  It was awesome and I am thankful.  Thankful that he is loved like he is and that our family is brought together by love and a little Max.


Speaking of boys, one cool thing happened with our two oldest the night before we left.  After tubing Jerry took Sam, Brayden and I out so I could try wake boarding again and he could try knee boarding.  I did get up and had an awesome ride around the lake.  Sam was so cute and so proud of me.  He took a video and in it you could see his thumbs up sign.  I love him.  But the best part was when he tried knee boarding.  He smiled.  Not just part of the time, the whole time.  If you know Sam you know he can have a bit of a fiery temper, but none of that this time.  He listened to Jerry's instructions and each time he fell, he smiled and listened to what Jerry had to say to do better the next time.  And he got up!  It was awesome and I was so proud of him for not giving up.  Maybe it was because he saw me wipe out a boat load on the day I learned to wake board or maybe it was his own inner will that wanted to accomplish this.  Whatever it was, he didn't give up and he smiled!!!  And what was also cool was the support that Jerry and Brayden also gave him.  Their praise and patience made all the difference I believe.  And when Brayden had his first trial run, that support continued.  Both can't wait for next year! 

And last but not certainly not least... Jerry and I got engaged!  This is a whole other blog(s) in itself... but I am happy and excited to announce we are getting married!  He proposed to me in the most romantic fashon on a boat out on the lake in the middle of the night on the 5th of July and I said Yes!  We took the kids out to the same spot and told them and they were very excited which made us even happier.  Saxton said the cutest thing, that now she could call Brayden her brother.  I have to say I love this man.  He is wonderful and loves not only me, but my babies.  Yesterday when the kids left I just lost it and when he understood and cried with me I knew that I had found one of the good ones. 


Too be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment