Friday, February 14, 2014

"To Build A Home"

"Out in the garden where we planted the seeds
There is a tree as old as me
Branches were sewn by the color of green
Ground had arose and passed it's knees"
The Cinematic Orchestra 

I've always loved music, but even more I love the messages told through the lyrics.  I love when you can't find the words and then a song comes on and helps you to express exactly how you feel. There are also those times when a song can dive so deep into your soul that you didn't even realize such a place existed.  That's what happened last night when I heard a song that Savannah had mentioned on her twitter.  She was "obsessed" with it and I wanted to know why.  

When Savannah, Sam and I have moments that are just us, we immerse ourselves in songs and discuss their meaning, or sometimes we just let the message roll over us.  (Maybe because they're a little older and because all we've been through, our music taste is mutual.)  The majority of these moments are in the car, maybe just driving from the airport or most likely we're on an adventure, like when we drove to Forks this past summer.  Savannah, Sam, Max and I drove away from most everything and wound up in far NW Washington at the edge of where the ocean meets the sea.  During times like these, music is almost heard as a soundtrack, and gives special meaning to the moment.  As we laugh and talk and explore the literal or figurative uncharted territory in our lives, music enhances our journey.

"Where are you going
With your long face
Pullin' down
Don't hide away,
Like an ocean
That you can't see
But you can smell
And the sound of waves crash down.
I am no superman
I have no reasons for you.
I am no hero,
Aw that for sure,
But I do know one thing,
That's where you are is where I belong.
I do know
Where you go, 
Is where I wanta be."
Dave Matthews 

Dear Savannah and Sam,
Always let the music you hear, 
Help the constant healing in your heart.
Love you to the moon and stars, moon and stars and back.  Love,  Momma 

No comments:

Post a Comment