Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Life's Jetty

The purpose of a jetty is ultimately to protect a beach or an inlet from the savage waves of the ocean.  The rocks are enormous elephant size boulders placed in a jagged line out to sea.  On one side the waves break in unending rows and the other they form from nothing into a large breaker which slams itself into the rocks.  

I love the Jetty and the peacefulness of the sound of wave upon wave. They aren't easy to navigate and often people don't try.  However it's possible.  As I was using both my bare feet and hands to scale each one, I had to look around and take my time at certain points in order to decide which way to go.  It would have been easy and plenty beautiful to just sit on the beach and admire the massive wall, but then I would've missed the perspective I currently have. 

I'm able to watch the kids from the ocean's vantage point and witness them enjoy their day at the beach.  My mind is clear and I'm relaxed.  In a few days my two oldest leave and my heart will truly be broken.  But for today, thanks to our escape to the ocean, I can just be.  As I sit and allow the rocks to block the harsh wind, I'll enjoy this moment.  For I know, that soon I'll have to stand, feeling it's sharp sting and begin my treacherous journey yet again.  

Side Note:  Sam came out and met me and we ventured out further.  After all, life is more fun with someone you love by your side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment