Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Max is free

Max and his buddy Luke 9/11
The last few nights I haven't been able to sleep, I either had trouble falling asleep or I would wake up and not be able to fall back to sleep because I was worried about today and Max's doctor appointment.  Today Max was getting x-rays to see if he could have his cast removed and while I was excited to have him free, I was also nervous at his leg's vulnerability.  In fact when the Doctor came in to talk to us about taking off his cast, I started to cry, out of worry and relief, bittersweet tears.  The day before, I had been talking to my neighbors about his injury and how before this had happened I didn't cringe at every fall or worry about every cry, but now I held my breath and expected the worst.  I think it will be a while before I allow myself to relax and trust that things will be okay, that he'll be okay and he won't break at the slightest tumble.  Even when the older kids come to me with tears after falling on their bike or off a scooter I cringe and frantically look them over to make sure they are okay.   

The actual cast removal was a little bit nerve wracking, I found myself holding my breath as I watched the saw going so close to his little body.  When the tech finally took it off, Max was anxious to wiggle and move about, but with each move his legs were cramping and he started to cry, which just broke my heart.  He was so brave during the removal, I felt so sad for him to be so uncomfortable.  However after several minutes, and several warm wash clothes on his leg, he started to feel better.  When the doctor came in and quickly looked him over he started to cry again and he encouraged me to pick him up.  For a split second I realized I was scared to, scared I would hurt him, but I did and he quickly calmed down. 


One of the biggest things that I was looking forward to was giving Max a bath.  After we took Jerry back to work and picked up the girls (they had a half day) we headed home and straight upsairs for a bath.  The girls were so excited and even Sofia, our neighbor, was excited to watch Max get all cleaned up. (Sage told me when I picked her up that she had been pacing all morning wondering how his appointment would go.) So it was Max and three little girls and I easing him into his bath and smiling as he began to relax and enjoy himself.  We ran the water and soaked and washed him until the hot water ran out.  Afterwards I took him in his room, lotioned his poor leg and the rest of him and put on one diaper, instead of two.  Yeah!  I think the biggest thing I noticed is how little he looked and when I picked him up he felt so light in my arms, just a little minute without his heavy cast.  I was happy to be able to have my little one back to where I could hug and snuggle with him and not have his cast get in the way. 

After his bath I put him to bed and he went right to sleep, I imagine he was just exhausted and very happy to be able to lay down, cast free.  The rest of the day we just enjoyed seeing him toddle around and walk slightly as if he was still wearing his cast.  We went down to see his friends, Luke "Duke", "Me Me," Anne and Zack.  He was so excited to see his friends and they were very happy to see him walking on his own accord. 
Max and his friend Fia.
I have been very blessed through this journey to have had such support from my family and friends, both near and far, but especially my neighbors.  On a daily basis they asked about his progress and cheered him on as he began to feel better and become more mobile.  I don't know what we would have done with out them.  Thank you so much for all your love and encouragment. 

Little Max isn't out of the woods yet, we have to be careful with him for the next few weeks and make sure he doesn't do anything to re-injure his leg.  We go back in three weeks for our final x-ray and Dr. visit and hopefully things will check out okay and we will be well on our way to a full recovery.   



 

No comments:

Post a Comment