Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A day in the life...

Written Tuesday the 17th...
I just came downstairs from putting Max to bed.  I was sitting with him in his room having just topped him off, he was now laying, sleeping with his head on my shoulder.  It was one of those moments you want to take a picture of and remember it forever.  He had been crying off and on so I went back in his room to check on him and he was standing in his crib sleeping!  He was waking a bit, crying and falling back to sleep standing!  So I gathered him up and had a "moment" with him.

My mom loves to say, "we're having a moment," and I had a moment.  This prompted me to reflect on my day, my moments and all that I have done.  Life has been so crazy these last few years.  The months are just flying by and now I am knocking on the door of Max's first birthday.  I can't believe it.  Days are so full that they fly by in a blur.  So in honor of all the stay at home moms who are questioned, "what do you do all day?"  Here is what I did today.

I was up by 6:30 am.  Max is up at least a few times during the night to nurse, but has been up for good by 6:30 the last week and a half or so.  In a way this is good.  It gives me plenty of time to get up and get my day going before the other kids wake up.  So I hopped out of bed and put Max to play on the floor.  I turned on CNN and ironed Jerry's shirt.  (For those of you who read my previous post about how I am frugal... well I am, so I am now ironing instead of having Jerry spend money on dry-cleaning.)  Next was setting up the coffee pot and getting Max in his highchair to eat some Rice Krispies while I went out in the yard and shoveled compost into our yard waste bin and pick up dog poop.  They yard waste truck only comes every Tuesday so I wanted to get it full.  We are working on our backyard and have a lot of yard waste :) 

After I finished up outside I came in to wrangle three kids into eating cereal, overseeing Saxton feed Max apple-sauce, finishing feeding Max the applesauce.  Get the dog in her cage, getting all Max and I's swimming stuff, getting all four kids in the car and getting the girls to school by 8:21 am.  ON TIME!  Next Brayden's school.  Well after waiting for the traffic sign people to decide to let me go through the construction.  After dropping him off I headed to the YMCA for Max's swimming class.  I had an extra 15 minutes so I did the elliptical and watched these "older" guys play a serious game of Pickle ball (I think that is what it's called.)  Max had fallen asleep on the way... and woke up smiling, I guess I looked funny moving my arms and legs back and forth.

Swimming was good.  Max loves it!  He even went under water again.  I am so proud of him.  This is his fourth session and I love it as well.  It is our little set-aside-time.  After we are done we take a shower, get dressed and then I sit and nurse him.  Sometimes he passes out right then, but for sure in the car.  Then we headed home where I was greeted by my neighbor wondering if we needed a shed.  We do.... so both of us were happy.  I put Max in bed and thought I would have a good hour and a half before he woke up... but about thirty minutes later he was up... still hungry. 

So I wrote this on Tuesday night... it is now Wednesday... night.

I started thinking... they probably don't want to know EVERYTHING I did.  The rest of my day, yesterday was filled with Lots of laundry, a visit to the grocery, cleaning, laundry, homework, a call to the girls grandpa Kenny, a skype call to Papa and grandma for Papa's birthday and some dinner :)

Today was just as busy... what I realized is that I would bore the hell out of people if I wrote all that I did in a day because it is a lot of little things with maybe a few big ones.  For example, Brayden, Max, the puppy and I went to Chamber's Bay to go to the dog park and walk the loop.  It is a bit of bear with a set of steep hills to walk down, (I walk backwards a lot of the times down the hills because of my pathetic knees) and another set to walk up.  Jerry got me a jogging/bike stroller for mother's day and that is a lot lighter, but still a workout pushing it up the hills.  Brayden did really good... he even got a sprinkler reward for his efforts near the end of our walk. 

This afternoon, like every Wednesday we had gymnastics and swimming for the girls and Brayden.  Today is also half day Wednesday so I had all four of them home hanging out with me.  Fun!

Tonight Jerry put Max to sleep.  He does this bouncing thing with his knee and sometimes it is the perfect way to lull him to sleep.  This freed me up to clean the downstairs bathroom.  It is amazing how having a free uninterrupted moment to clean windows, do the dishes and clean a toilet is a treat when you are a mom (or dad).  :)

My treat for the day was when I was putting the girls to bed SaxtonSaxton's birthday this year.  Just typing that makes me so sad.  I am dreading that day coming around and knowing I won't be there.  It makes me cry.  She was born early so her birth and first hours were scary and on top of that the fact that I couldn't be with her those first few days very much because she was on breathing machines and hooked up to so much equipment, I swore that I wouldn't be without her on her "birthday" ever again and I am broken hearted about breaking that promise.  Unfortunately I either gave that up or gave up seeing Savannah and Sam all together.  What would you choose? 

This is Saxton last year on her birthday.  She had just flown in from Colorado and we came to the hospital to see her new baby brother, that is what she wanted to do for her birthday... we did go to dinner after.  She is a doll baby and I love her and her brothers and sisters so much it hurts.

On that note, I am going to say goodnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment