Friday, October 11, 2013

Belated Post


Written October 3.


Prelude:  I haven’t watched Sex and the City for years, although it must be noted that I was a devote fan when the series was running.  However last weekend I watched a few episodes and was reminded of the writing aspect of the show.  Basically Carrie wrote a blog like column in pre-blog times.  This was encouraging to me in my own aspirations to take my  writing to another level.  Unfortunately to those who are seeing a sexy blog, at this point (stay tuned) my blog is (for the most part) rated PG and lacking in sexual inferences.   However I am sure I could come up with a funny story or two.  What I can do is liken “Sex in the City” to “Momming in the Suburbs.”   I am proud to say that I’m on the brink of 20,000 hits and while this might seem like small potatoes to some, it’s much appreciated to me and encourages me to write on!  Additionally, one of my biggest challenges is worrying about what my Ex might say about my blogs, I am going to make a huge effort not to (pardon my French) give a shit anymore.  I have found that he will find something horrible and negative to say about me no matter what I do… even if it’s being entered into Sainthood.  As my husband told me recently, those that mind don’t matter and those that matter don’t mind. 

What a morning.  So at one point today I was running as fast as I could with a three year old in my arms, as well as my huge purse from my gate, back through the airport, to security.  (I left my other bags and car seat with good Samaritans at the gate so I could move with less bulk.)  It was 11:25, the time my flight was to take off, but thankfully the plane was running a little late.  Max, already so very excited to be flying on a plane, his absolutely favorite things in the world, was very concerned as to why we went from preparing to board, to running full speed away from the gate.  While carrying a purse, backpack, computer bag, car seat and three year old I had indeed forgotten my license and boarding passes.

Fortunately security did have my things.  However, I had to wait anxiously for them to be found and print the documents for me to sign in order for everything to be released back to me.  Then, this time with a three year old on my shoulders, I sprinted full steam back to the gate just in time to make my flight.  I feel a bit sorry for the guy next to me, I’m not sure of my body odor status after sweating buckets in my Seahawks sweatshirt while running my airport Marathon.  I wonder if it’s my disheveled look (my bun became a rats nest while I ran) that caused my flight steward to slip a little something extra into my drink.  (Now I know why he winked at me as he handed me my beverage.)  It could have also been the simple fact that I am traveling with a three year old, who has been phenomenal by the way.  I wish I could spout humorous horror stories of him screaming, kicking or throwing tantrums and get knowing sympathy from other parents, but (knock on wood) I can’t.   Okay, I confess, Southwest now has free TV episodes (Thanks Direct TV) that have helped, along with random games and books I have downloaded to my iPhone and snacks, lots of snacks! I digress.


The reason Max and I are flying (currently) to Albuquerque is to visit my family and friends, as well as to hopefully work a little.  I had originally planned this trip in order to work for my old company selling steel art at the balloon fiesta.  However the booth space we were supposed to get fell through.  With my ability to possibly still work, I decided to go ahead and go.  No matter what, I thankfully have my sisters, nieces and parents all there, as well as some friends of mine, (I lived in Albuquerque from August 2001, to July 2006.)  

Well we are starting to descend and one of the joys today has been to watch a little boy truly marvel and enjoy the whole experience of flying…. So it is here that I sign off.  

Written October 4th
I am at my parent's place now, having spent last night at my sister Elizabeth's house.  Max had a blast there with his two cousins.  They were so cute together.  My sister and I felt like little kids as we had a sleepover together staying up late talking in the dark.  This afternoon my parents and I (with Max on my back) took a hike into the desert with the dogs.  "Just taking the dogs for a walk," turned into a five mile trek.  I loved it and so did Max until he fell fast asleep nestled against my back.
 

I do have to share a "now it's funny" story about yesterday.  When we arrived in the airport in Albuquerque, Max got very excited about the escalators.  So excited that he decided to go on a few extra rides.  This would have been fine except I was lugging three heavy bags, a lunch box full of toys and a bulky carseat.  So when we finally made it back the baggage claim floor I called for Max and headed to get our bags.  However, Max wasn't quit done with his escalator escapades and headed towards them yet again.  Then, just as he was going up, I called out for him to stop and get off.  God bless him, he did turn around and tried to do just that, but fell and was being drug up feet first and with his head down.  I raced to help and in the process of grabbing for him, I dropped the car seat down the escalator stairs causing audible gasps from nearby spectators.  Yes, not my finest mommy moment.  But thankfully he was perfectly fine, just scared and I guess now we are able to laugh about it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment