Saturday, August 3, 2013

Love of a family

Today after a long chat with my sister, before we hung up, we told each other how much we loved one another, how grateful we were that we had siblings.  After all, things aren't always easy and life can break your heart.  What keeps you going is those people in your life that can pick you up off the floor, or better yet, are able to get down on the floor with you and just be. 

I can only speak on the behalf of my family, but to me the word family represents an almost indescribable unconditional love.  The kind where a voice can melt sadness and a smell elicit tears. 

Recently when my parents arrived at the airport, we played out a familiar scene of squeals, dancing hugs and happy tears.  Their visit went way to fast and their absence hung heavy.  There is always an sadness felt when family leaves, but the gift left behind is their presence in your heart. 

During their visit, I took a picture of my four youngest that I believe exemplified how a family can form into this wonderful little unit.  No matter how siblings come to be, love trumps all.  I love the photo because it was spontaneous.  We were at dinner with my parents at Max's favorite restaurant, The Hanger Inn.  After a beautiful day of hiking on Mt. Rainier we were all relaxed and now full.  The kids were checking out the planes and while at first the picture included just two, it slowly blended into all four.  Their smiles were genuine and their happiness clear.  They were "love."

Families can be complicated and unusual.  There is no one definition for what truly makes up a family, it's just a combination of many things and in the end always includes love.  My family is scattered over several states, but no matter where we are, we still feel one another's presence.  As I have told my Savannah and Sam, love can cross mountains, hills and seas, love will always find you.  

Good night my family, I love you all to the moon and stars and back!


No comments:

Post a Comment