Saturday, August 17, 2013

Let's go for a walk. Let's turn the White House Yellow in September in order to bring Awareness to Childhood Cancer.

Several months ago via Rockstar Ronan's Facebook page I found out about the virtual Run for the White House for Childhood Cancer Awareness.  It is just as it sounds, a virtual run from the West Coast to the East Coast and on to the White House to bring light to the fact that so many little ones are battling cancer every day.  Brian Jones started the page in honor of his son Lincoln (read article in CNN) who fought cancer as a toddler.  He wanted to bring some insight to the current epidemic of childhood cancer, as well as turn the White House and the whole country yellow in September in honor of all these little ones.  As a woman (as well as having loved ones who have battled the disease) I appreciate all the recognition that Breast Cancer gets in October.  However, as a mother I want to fight to bring the same acknowledgment to September.  I want the football players to be yellow in September like they are pink in October.  Let's kick cancer's ass across the field and across the country!

The awesome thing about Brian's challenge is that it's so easy to do!  All he asks is for you to post your miles (from running, walking, biking, swimming... whatever movement you make) and he keeps track.  That's it!  What's so special is that as you follow everyone's posts, you also meet (via Facebook) all these sweet little ones who trying to beat cancer and you can cheer them on as well.  Brian's Facebook page has become a beacon of hope, honor and remembrance for those who have lost their babies, a place where they can come to get support, love and prayers.  While we may not know each other personally, I strongly believe we can feel a connection spiritually.

Ultimately these little warriors have become not only the inspiration for many walks/runs/bike-rides that I have done, but over time my family has also gotten involved as well.  All six of my children, my husband, my parents and siblings have all logged miles... and Puppy too!  My post yesterday on Facebook says it best:

My honey and I and puppy (Max was along for the ride) walked a mile (3 miles total) and then I went on a quick two mile run. (Five miles total).  It's then that I saw what looked to be an angel's wing in the sky.  I can only imagine the millions of angels watching over all the babies we're running/walking/biking for.  Brian, you started this movement to bring recognition and it's grown into this beautiful web of love that's become a part of our daily lives.  Even if I can't technically log miles, the little ones are with me each step I take.

Side Note:  If you haven't joined our cause, please consider doing so.  All you have to do is go to https://www.facebook.com/events/129786293855902/ and say you're going and then begin to post your miles.  You don't have to be a runner, you can walk, bike and even swim.  The point is simple, whatever you decide to do in honor of these angels, the important part is that you do it while carrying them in your heart.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment