Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I am my mother's daughter.

Yesterday afternoon while I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I realised I was hungry. In all the hustle and bustle of the day I hadn't eaten lunch, so I grabbed a box of cereal with the intention of sitting down and eating a bowl. That didn't happen, instead I walked by the box and grabbed a handful of cereal on the fly. That's when it struck me, I am my mother's daughter! The only thing that would have been more perfect was if it was a box of Pops! (And it could have been, I have one of those in my pantry.)

I remember growing up and saying, "I am not going to be like my mom." I think every child has said that once or twice. When I got pregnant with Savannah, I am sure I thought it again. I am going to be different, I am going to be me. And I am. I am my own person. I have made my own choices, walked different paths and marched to my own beat. However, I am proud to say, I am my still my mother's daughter.

It started when Savannah was first born. My nurse in the hospital was sweet, but an awful lactation consultant. By the time I got home, I was in so much pain. Every time Savannah latched on it felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest. Then my mom arrived, took one look at me and got to work. She made me walk around with no top on, soak in the tub and use lanolin, as well as my own breast milk to help heal. After a few days I was feeling much better and so were my boobies, thanks to my mom. I was my mother's daughter and I wanted to breastfeed my baby and I did, each and every one.

I know I am my mother's daughter because I love music, all kinds. Music has always been my favorite avenue for healing. Just like my mom, I love nothing more than to put my music on and go for a walk, run, go rollerblading or for a bike ride or a hike. It is how she taught me to get through things, work things out in my mind. Through the power of music I have been able to heal.

We also both love to be outside, to plant things and help them grow. As long as I can remember, every spring my mom would plant flowers and she is still my go-to lady when I have a question about my mums or anything else. She taught me girls can mow too and how to handle the lawn. 

Today we were talking about Savannah and the boy scene. I was voicing my concerns and how I am worried about her. She let me go on a bit and then started laughing and reminded me of a few escapades I put her through as a young lady. It was right around the same time, my freshman year in high school.  I do recall giving her the run around a bit. It's kind of eerie being in that position now, we'll see how it goes.

"Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either." ~Golda Meir

Recently Savannah and her dad (my Ex) got into an argument and he said, "you and your mom always know how to bring tears into things like this..." I guess she is also her mother's daughter and I won't apologize for this. Over the years there have been plenty of times where I have cried in anger, in frustration and as a result of a deep sadness. But there have also been plenty of times where I cry because I am emotional, I'm happy and sentimental. I believe that tears can be a badge of honor, a sign that you have a heart and a soul. If my daughter's are like me in this way, I find that to be a compliment. There is a long line of sensitive women in my family and I love and respect each and every one.

My mom and I are not completely alike, we have our differences. That is the beauty of individuality. It is also the beauty of having children. I know that through the years I have had the opportunity to open her eyes and heart to other ways of thinking, including realizing her worth as a mother and a woman. As my daughter's grow up, I hope that they to will help me to see things in a new light, I know they have already made me want to be a better person.

I love my mom. She is kind, funny, thoughtful, sensitive, warm and beautiful. She has taught me about class and strength.  Through her I have learned to admit when I am wrong, that no one is perfect and to never be to proud to say I'm sorry.  My mom has taught me that no one is a stranger and never be afraid to open my heart and help someone in need.  Over the last three years I have done a lot of soul searching and have had many heart to hearts with my mom.  Together, we have helped each other get over the hurt that we have both experienced in our lives.  Our relationship is an ongoing love story and I can only hope and pray that I have that with my own daughters.  I want them to be able to say someday as I am proudly proclaiming today, "I am my mother's daughter !!!"
 
"Like My Mother Does"
 
 

[Verse 1]
People always say
I have a laugh
Like my mother does
Guess that makes sense
She taught me how to smile
When things get rough

I've got her spirit
She's always got my back
When I look at her
I think, I want to be just like that

[Chorus]
When I love I give it all I've got
Like my mother does
When I'm scared, I bow my head and pray
Like my mother does

When I feel weak and unpretty
I know I'm beautiful and strong
Because I see myself like my mother does

[Verse 2]
I never met a stranger
I can talk to anyone
Like my mother does
I let my temper fly
And she can walk away
When she's had enough

She sees everybody
For who they really are
I'm so thankful for her guidance
She helped me get this far

[Chorus]
When I love I give it all I've got
Like my mother does
When I'm scared, I bow my head and pray
Like my mother does

When I feel weak and unpretty
I know I'm beautiful and strong
Because
I see myself like my mother does

[Bridge]
She's a rock
She is grace
She's an angel
She's my heart and soul
She does it all

[Chorus]
When I love I give it all I've got
Like my mother does
When I'm scared, I bow my head and pray
Like my mother does

When I'm weak and unpretty
I know I'm beautiful and strong
Because
I see myself like my mother does
Like my mother does

I hear people saying
I'm starting to look like my mother does
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment