Friday, June 8, 2012

DOTS

Sage came up to me with obvious tears in her eyes, tears she was desperately fighting back because she was at school and she didn't want to possibly embarrass herself in front of her friends.  I asked her what was the matter and she told me that she finally won the cakewalk, but the girl in front of her who also won took the last box of DOTS.  She said she asked her for them, but she had said no.  My heart melted as I hugged her and told her how sweet she was to try, then we went to the prize counter and picked out a Hershey's with Almonds instead.

On our way out to the car after the carnival I hugged her again and told her that I will never look at another box of DOTS again and not smile.  After all, she had spent most of her tickets and night trying to win me that box of DOTS.  After we ran out of our initial tickets, I dug in my purse for every last bill and quarter so she could buy more tickets and try again. 

Sage made me this when we got
home from the carnival.
This quest all started when earlier, after Saxton had won, I had hinted for DOTS and she chose a cupcake instead.  It was no big deal and she was sweet enough to share it with Max.  However, Sage had taken note of my request and made it her mission to win me those DOTS. Her and sometimes Max, would march around hoping to land on that magic number.  Max was so funny because he would clap when people won and dance when the music started.  At times we were a team and would all pay a ticket, in hopes for the illusive winning cakewalk number.  In the end it was a lesson in the fact that sometimes when you loose, you still end up a winner.  As a mom you live for DOTS moments.  It is those times, when you almost can't believe how much you can love a person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment