Sunday, November 6, 2011

I cheered so loud I peed my pants!

Sage, Saxton and Brayden all play soccer at the YMCA.  Games are on Saturdays and practice for the girls is on Wednesday night and Thursday night for Brayden.  Simple enough.  However I am such an emotional wreck during the games.  Brayden plays inside in the gym and there are a ton of people in a tight space watching, so I am pretty quiet and resort to clapping and an occasional "good job" or "nice pass" at a reasonable level.  Mr. Brayden is really good, he has been playing for several seasons now and scoring goals for him is second nature. 

However the girls are new to the sport.  This is Only Sage's second season indoors and Saxton's first (both played one season of outdoor soccer in the spring.)  They are going against other third and fourth graders many like Brayden who have been playing since pre-kindergarten.  But they haven't given up or allowed this advantage to deter them.  Each week they get better and learn something new.  And when Sage scored her first goal on October 22nd, I think they could hear me inside the YMCA.  (The girls play outside in the sports complex on the full field and voices are very much amplified, including mine.) 

Jerry and the littlest
cheerleader, Max!
In fact, I laughed at myself a few games ago while cheering for the girls, I was my mother's daughter and was probably going to blow out my vocal chords too by the time they graduated from high-school.  Proudly I am a positive cheer leader and I don't get down on them for anything... even a missed goal.  Their confidence is fragile enough and they need all the encouragement they can get.  For example I cheer for anything, even a protected ball that Saxton, as a defender successfully kicks up to a forward.  Jerry and I remind the girls that a blocked goal is just important as one that is scored.

Yesterday, Sage and Saxton were both playing forwards with another little girl.  They play 20 minute halves and there was only six minutes or so left in the first half.  The three of them had been working for fourteen minutes now trying for a goal.  Several times they got so close and I was a basket case because I knew how bad they wanted it.  Both Sage and the other forward continued to try and set Saxton up for her first goal, but she was up against a very good goalie and it wasn't happening.  But, then it did, sort of. Sage passed the ball to Saxton, but she didn't have the shot so she passed it to Sage on our left and Sage scored!  I was so excited and cheered so loud I piddled in my pants.  I cheered for Sage, but I cheered just as loud if not louder for Saxton and her assist, it was beautiful. 

The girls all came out then and a sad Saxton came off the field.  She hadn't scored the goal, Sage had.  Jerry and I went to her and explained how proud we were of her and emphasised the point that if she hadn't given Sage such a perfect pass she wouldn't have scored, the point was it was her goal too!  She thought about that and after some more encouragement from other parents, her coach and other teammate she smiled a proud smile.  I think Jerry said it best, he reminded her that it was a team, each goal was a team effort and she had helped her team make that goal.

They won their game and I smiled all the way to the car.  I was so proud of my girls, not just because they scored a goal, but they learned a valuable lesson on not giving up and that we can't do it alone.  We all need help achieving our goals and it isn't just important to score, but to support those who do. 

Sage running through our parent tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment