Thursday, October 13, 2011

free paperclips and five minute friends.

Jerry and I were at some governmental building (I can't remember the name) applying for our marriage license today and we met a very unique man.  I am not sure why he was there, but somehow we all got to talking... yes I engaged in a conversation with a stranger, I confess.  Anyway he was so funny, he overheard Jerry and I joking that we couldn't follow directions and we had to do our forms over several times.  He jumped in, apologizing for eavesdropping, I eavesdrop too so I didn't mind, and gave Jerry a forewarning about marriage.  He said that it was trouble, that many marriages end in divorce, and that possibly I had already been married several times.  Well once before, but not several. 

Somehow he went on to talk about the Raccoons he feeds and those he fed this morning, something about how they know he is good and don't bite him.  Then he finished saying that he was excited to be stopping by Mc Donald's later, not to eat, but to pick up their pickle buckets that he finds in their trash.  Come to find out, they are perfect to plant things in and free!  But he was most excited about the paperclip tray on the counter, and that they were free!  He grabbed several like they were candy.

This got me to thinking.  How many of us are grabbing free paperclips, feeding raccoons and sorting through trash for pickle buckets at Mc Donald's?  No one I know.  Jerry and I decided after we saw him again in the parking lot and he smiled and waved that he probably lived alone and possibly was lonely.  He admitted to us that he wasn't married.  In fact, that is how that's how our conversation began, him asking us if he needed to have someone specific in mind to fill out a marriage form.  Then he wondered out loud where he might find someone to marry.  I offered to help him... and that is where our five minute friendship began. 

I commented to Jerry later on that I wished I told him we would never forget him, that he would always be a part of our special day.  He made me smile and literally appreciate the small things, like paperclips.  His personality and warmth was contagious and made me smile and it made the process of filling out forms memorable. 

If I can pass on one thing to my children it would be the trait of talking to strangers, not yet maybe, but later on when they are old enough.  I want them to open their mouths and then open their ears and listen to what someone else has to say.  Learn what is important to them and learn the important lesson of where to find things like good ol' free pickle buckets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment